Trabzonspor chief executive Burak Gurdal has confirmed Manchester United are interested in their attacker Abdul Majeed Waris.
Louis van Gaal’s assistant Ryan Giggs reportedly flew to Turkey last week to watch the 23-year-old Ghanaian in Trabzonspor’s 2-0 Europa League win over Lokeren.
“We have not have any direct offers however, we know Manchester United are scouting Waris and keeping close tabs on him,” Gurdal said.
“Not just Waris, we have a few players are being closely watched.
“We only signed Waris two months ago and are not interested in selling right now, but you never know what will happen in the future.”
Everton striker Romelu Lukaku has heaped praises on teammate Samuel Eto’o following their 3-1 victory over Burnley on Sunday, in matchday 9 of the English Premier League.
The Cameroon star hit his first brace for the Toffees at Turf Moor, with the Belgian international also on target for his fourth league goal of the season.
And Lukaku highlighted his special relationship with the former Barcelona hitman, whom he considers an inspirational mentor.
“He’s a world class player. He’s scored so many goals throughout his career and I’ve been blessed to be working with him,” the 21-year old told the Press Association.
“I spend most of the time with him. I come in at the same time as he does, I leave at the same time. We do everything together on and off the pitch as well.
“We see each other quite often. He comes to my house, I go to his house. I try to learn as much as I can from him and he tells me stories about how he worked when he was younger.
“Samuel has the same impact as Drogba and Anelka had on me when I was younger at Chelsea.
“In that aspect I think I’ve been blessed to work with top strikers like them. I hope to be one of them in the future.”
FIFA says the Club World Cup should continue as planned in Morocco this December despite concerns over the Ebola virus on the continent.
The tournament could include the A League’s Western Sydney Wanderers should they triumph in the Asian Champions League final against Al-Hilal.
The Wanderers currently hold the advantage in their match-up, having won the first leg 1-0 at home last weekend.
The second leg takes place at King Fahd Stadium in Riyadh in Saudi Arabia on Sunday morning (AEDT).
“Concerning the FIFA Club World Cup to be held in Morocco, the health of players, officials and football fans remains the highest priority, just as it would for any FIFA competition,” FIFA said in a statement on Tuesday.
“According to the World Health Organization there are currently no cases of Ebola reported from Morocco and therefore all preparations continue as planned.
“FIFA is monitoring the situation and is in close contact with the Moroccan authorities and constantly updating its position in accordance with WHO technical guidance.”
The Club World Cup brings together the six clubs who have won their regional championships, including European Champions League winners Real Madrid, in addition to Moghreb Tetouan representing the hosts.
The Moroccan government recently called for the African Cup of Nations, scheduled to be held in the country January 17-February 8, 2015, to be postponed.
That request will be discussed by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) executive committee at a meeting on November 2 in Algiers.
FIFA praised the decision by CAF to play international matches involving countries (Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea) with intense transmission of Ebola on neutral ground and advised clubs to carry out a medical check-up on players returning from games featuring those countries.
Côte d’Ivoire and Manchester City midfielder Yaya Touré is the only African included in a 23-man shortlist for the 2014 Ballon d’Or award.
FIFA and France Football have on Tuesday unveiled the candidates for the 2014 FIFA Ballon d’Or and for the 2014 FIFA World Coach of the Year for Men’s Football awards.
The names of the three players who will have received the most votes from a judging panel comprising the captains and head coaches of the men’s national teams as well as some international media representatives, will be announced on 1 December.
And the winners of all of the awards will be revealed at a prestigious ceremony at the Zurich Kongresshaus on 12 January 2015.
Yaya Touré enjoyed a fantastic campaign with City last season, helping his side to their second Premier League title in three years, and was instrumental in Côte d’Ivoire’s qualification for the FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014.
2014 FIFA BALLON D’OR 23-PLAYER SHORTLIST
Gareth Bale (Wales), Karim Benzema (France), Diego Costa (Spain), Thibaut Courtois (Belgium), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Angel Di Maria (Argentina), Mario Goetze (Germany), Eden Hazard (Belgium), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Toni Kroos (Germany), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Javier Mascherano (Argentina), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Mueller (Germany), Manuel Neuer (Germany), Neymar (Brazil), Paul Pogba (France), Sergio Ramos (Spain), Arjen Robben (Netherlands), James Rodriguez (Colombia), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Yaya Toure (Côte d’Ivoire).
Nigeria on Thursday sacked Stephen Keshi as national team coach, despite his side’s home win against Sudan that kept them in the running to defend their African title.
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) said after an emergency meeting that former coach Shuaibu Amodu would take temporary charge before a foreign manager is appointed.
The Super Eagles were rock bottom of Group A in qualifying for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations after winning just one point in three matches but a 3-1 win against Sudan in Abuja on Wednesday lifted them to third.
Speculation about 52-year-old Keshi’s future has refused to go away since the end of the World Cup finals in Brazil in July, where Nigeria reached the knock-out stages of the competition.
Keshi’s three-year deal ran out after the return from South America while he lost the support of players after much-publicised rows with the likes of Emmanuel Emenike, Peter Odemwingie and Ikechukwu Uche.
His record of five defeats, five draws and just one victory in the last 11 matches has only compounded dissatisfaction and led to calls for him to quit.
In a statement, the NFF said Keshi and his coaching staff had led Nigeria to “glorious accomplishments” in the last three years and called the coach and his assistants “true national heroes”.
“However, in the interest of Nigeria football and the desire to ensure qualification for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations finals, the (executive) committee decided to relieve them of their duties with immediate effect,” it added.
Unanimous approval was given for a consortium of coaches, led by Amodu, to lead Nigeria in their remaining qualifying matches against Congo and South Africa “after which an expatriate coach will be appointed”.
Amodu’s re-appointment comes four years after he was sacked and stopped from leading the country to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
This will be his fifth stint with the Eagles having first taken charge of the team in 1994.
The 56-year-old will be assisted by El Kanemi Warriors coach Salisu Yusuf, who worked under Samson Siasia both with the Flying Eagles and Super Eagles, and Gbenga Ogunbote of Sharks.
Their immediate task is to secure a win against Congo in Pointe Noire to stay in the reckoning for a place at the Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco in January.
Nigeria have four points from as many matches while Congo are second on seven points. Group leaders South Africa travel to Nigeria for the final qualifying game next month.
Keshi’s sacking comes despite NFF president Amaju Pinnick saying this week that the football association would not rush into a decision over Keshi’s future.
“We want our people to be patient and not stampede the federation to take knee-jerk decisions that will backfire in the end,” he said on Monday.
Meanwhile, Samson Siasia has been named the Under-23 coach. The former international, who last coached the Super Eagles before he was replaced by Stephen Keshi, will be assisted by Farayi Amoo.
The winner of the 2014 African Champions League final between AS Vita Club of Democratic Republic of Congo and Algeria’s Entente Setif will face a qualifier in the quarter-final of the Fifa Club World Cup in Morocco in December.
The African champions will take on the winner of the play-off between Moghreb Athletic de Tetouan of the host nation Morocco and Auckland City FC of New Zealand.
The winners will then play San Lorenzo of Argentina in the last four.
The South Americans booked their semi-final spot after winning the Copa Libertadores.
The other quarter-final will see the Concacaf Champions League winners Cruz Azul of Mexico play either Western Sydney Wanderers of Australia or Saudi club Al Hilal who have still to play the final of the Asian Champions League.
The winners will then play Uefa Champions League holders Real Madrid in the semi-finals.
The December 10-20 tournament will be played at Rabat and Marrakech.
The Club World Cup will go ahead despite Moroccan authorities trying to have the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, due to be staged in the country in January and February, postponed because of the Ebola epidemic.
Morocco is hosting the tournament for the second time after debuting last year when 2013 Uefa Champions League holders Bayern Munich lifted the trophy having beaten home side Raja Casablanca 2-0 in the final.
Fifa Club World Cup fixtures:
10 December – Moghreb Tétouan (Morocco) v Auckland City (New Zealand)
13 December – African champions (Entente Setif or AS Vita Club) v Moghreb Tétouan/Auckland City
13 December – Cruz Azul (Mexico) v Asia champions (Western Sydney Wanderers or Al-Hilal)
16 December – Real Madrid (Spain) v Cruz Azul/Asian champions
17 December – San Lorenzo (Argentina) v Moghreb Tétouan/AucklandCity/African champions
20 December – at Marrakech
Ivorian winger Gervinho insists the Elephants remain the leading team in Africa despite their inability to survive their group at the World Cup in Brazil.
In addition to their World Cup disappointment, the Ivoirians have been knocked off the top of the continental rankings after a three-year stranglehold by new leaders Algeria who have now been number one for the past three months.
While the Elephants saw their hopes of reaching the last-16 of the Mundial for the first time ever dashed by a cruel last-minute penalty, Algeria and African champions Nigeria survived their groups.
But the Roma star, who has arguably been his country’s best player in recent months, believes that given the quality of the players in the team, the Elephants are still the continent’s top side.
“Despite the failure in Brazil, the quality of our players is not in doubt. For me, the best team in Africa is still Cote d’Ivoire,” the 27-year-old told Fifa.com.
Gervinho scored two of Cote d’Ivoire’s four goals at the summer’s showpiece and admits that he was bitterly disappointed by their exit.
“We were expected to get out of our group, and we were expected to beat Greece in our last match. In the end, there wasn’t much in it – a penalty in the final seconds knocked us out. It came down to little mistakes. We were all responsible for them, and they cost us dearly,” he added.
“I must admit that I took our exit rather badly. The World Cup was very important to me and to the whole country. We were left with a lot of regrets.”
The Ivoirians have been further weakened by the retirement of legendary skipper Didier Drogba, who is the top scoring Elephant of all-time. Life immediately after the 36-year-old star has been tough going especially as the Elephants also need to adjust to life under a new coach Herve Renard.
Not only did they labour to a 2:1 home win against Sierra Leone in the first of their 2015 Nations Cup qualifiers, they lost in an African qualifier for the first time in nine years when they were hammered 4:1 in Cameroon.
Although Gervinho acknowledges a huge void has been left by Drogba’s retirement, he insists they must move on.
“Didier was our captain – he made a great contribution to the national team and will leave a huge void. As far as I’m concerned, I’m proud and happy to have played alongside him. But he’s left now, and we need to move on. We have some important challenges coming up, including the Cup of Nations qualifiers and the tournament itself in January. That’s what we have to focus on.”
Ivory Coast football officials have revealed a five-man shortlist as they seek to appoint Sabri Lamouchi’s successor as the country’s head coach.
Francis Gillot, Frederic Antonetti, Herve Renard, Jose Manuel De Jesus and Luis Fernandez are the men being considered by the Ivorian Football Federation (FIF).
Lamouchi stepped down from his role after Ivory Coast failed to reach the knockout rounds of World Cup for the third straight tournament.
Drawn against Colombia, Japan and Greece in Group C, Lamouchi’s side opened their campaign with a 2-1 win over the Asian nation before defeats to Colombia and Greece, the latter via an injury-time penalty, sent them out.
Of those shortlisted to take the job, only Renard and Fernandez have previous international experience.
Fernandez managed Israel in an unsuccessful qualification campaign for UEFA Euro 2012, but Renard is well-known to African terrain, having led Zambia to a memorable 2012 Africa Cup of Nations triumph after a short stint in Ghana as a Physical trainer.
The five were whittled down from a total of 37 applicants, including former Italy and Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni, France legend Didier Six and Ruud Krol – a World Cup finalist in his playing days and ex-coach of African clubs in Egypt, South Africa and Tunisia.
None of the six Ivorian applications were considered further, but FIF president Djedje Benjamin refuted any suggestion that their nationality had played a role.
He said: “I will not go into the details but I can say that candidates who have been selected are consistent with the criteria required by the application process.”
The chosen candidate’s first task will be to qualify Ivory Coast for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.
Cameroon and Congo DR stand in their way in Group D of qualifying as well as the winner of Benin and Malawi’s play-off clash.
Algeria international defender Rafik Halliche has signed a three-year deal with Qatar Sports Club.
The 27-year-old centre-back was part of the Desert Foxes squad that reached the last 16 of the World Cup in Brazil – their best performance at a finals.
His transfer comes after the end of his contract with Portugal’s Academica.
“I was encouraged by Algerian players in Qatar, like Majid Bougherra, Kariem Ziana and Nader Belhaj, to come here,” said Halliche.
“They said great things about the Qatar League. They said great football is played here. All that encouraged me to move to the Qatar League.”
African hopes of more teams at the next World Cup were dealt a huge blow by a largely dismal showing during the 2014 tournament in Brazil.
Algeria and Nigeria bowed out in the first knockout round after Cameroon, Ghana and Ivory Coast made first-round exits.
More was expected from a football-obsessed continent that promises much before each World Cup only to deliver comparatively little.
When Roger Milla-inspired Cameroon reached the 1990 quarter-finals, Brazil legend Pele predicted an African winner of the tournament by the close of the 20th century.
But the best Africa has managed since is last-eight appearances from Senegal in 2002 and Ghana four years ago.
Many African football officials believe the odds are stacked against the continent producing champions because they have only five contenders compared to 13 from Europe.
They argue that Africa and Europe have 54 member nations each of world football governing body FIFA, so why the large difference in the number of World Cup qualifiers?
What they ignore is World Cup results between Africa and Europe and South America, the strongest football continents.
There have been 80 match-ups between Africa and Europe, starting with a 4-2 victory by Hungary over Egypt at the 1934 World Cup and Africa have won just 16 games.
Nigeria did defeat Bosnia-Hercegovina in Brazil, Ghana held Germany in a four-goal thriller and Algeria drew with Russia.
But Cameroon were hammered by Croatia, Ivory Coast succumbed to Greece, Ghana lost to Portugal, Nigeria fell to France and Algeria were beaten by Belgium and Germany.
The statistics against South American sides are more depressing with just three victories from 25 matches.
“We need to have the results to back our case,” admits Confederation of African Football (CAF) president Issa Hayatou.
Africa has not enjoyed great success against Asian and CONCACAF (North-Central America) opponents either.
They won four and lost four of 14 games with Asia and won three and lost three of eight matches against CONCACAF.
Critics of greater African representation at the 2018 finals can point to just 26 African victories in 127 World Cup games.
But Africa and Asia do have powerful backers with FIFA president Sepp Blatter and Europe football supremo Michel Platini saying the 32-team World Cup could be expanded.
Why did a five-prong African assault in Brazil peter out so early? Ghana midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng says disastrous preparations contributed greatly.
“It was a nightmare from start to finish,” Boateng revealed after being kicked out of camp before the last group match for allegedly swearing at coach Kwesi Appiah.
Boateng said the journey from the Netherlands to the United States took 19 hours, including nine hanging around an airport.
“The flight from Miami to Brazil lasted 12 hours, and our legs ached from sitting in economy class while the Ghana FA president, his wife and children were in business class.
“We had a charter flight in Brazil but my luggage was lost — two days without my football boots was a disaster.”
Boateng said the bonus row, which led to $3 million (2.2 million euros) in cash being airlifted from Ghana to Brazil, was the “smallest problem”.
“The association gets so much money from sponsors and FIFA — it was certainly not used for hotels, flights, preparations and the team.”
Ghana were not the only team hit by bonus disputes.
Cameroon delayed their departure from Yaounde wrangling over money and President Goodluck Jonathan intervened when problems emerged in the Nigerian squad.
The list of 2014 World Cup-related embarrassments for Africa is long, including the suspension of Nigeria after they exited the tournament over alleged government interference.
Reports — since discredited — linked seven Cameroon players to match-fixing against Croatia. Alex Song was red-carded and Benoit Assou-Ekotto tried to head-butt team-mate Benjamin Moukandjo during that match.
Boateng was joined on an early flight home by fellow midfielder Sulley Muntari, who was accused of striking a Ghanaian official.
Coaches Vahid Halilhodzic of Algeria and Stephen Keshi of Nigeria, the most successful from Africa in Brazil, have quit, along with Ivory Coast handler Sabri Lamouchi.
Among the unsuccessful, German Volker Finke wants to continue guiding Cameroon and Appiah signed a pre-World Cup two-year extension.