Afrikansoccer.com logo

Africans Abroad

Kelechi Iheanacho scores again as Man City thrash AC Milan

Manchester City youngster Kelechi Iheanacho

Manchester City youngster Kelechi Iheanacho

Manchester City thrashed AC Milan 5-1 in Pittsburgh today.

Stevan Jovetic handed the Premier League champions the lead after 12 minutes with a low shot that crept in at the near post and three minutes later Gael Clichy picked out Scott Sinclair in the box and he slotted home the second from close range.

The goalfest was not over yet and midway through the first half Jesus Navas’ acrobatic effort from just outside the box took a huge deflection and left goalkeeper Michael Agazzi with no chance.

Rampant City added a fourth after 27 minutes as Nigerian striker Kelechi Iheanacho, who has been training with the club for the past few weeks, picked the ball up on the edge of the box and turned 180 degrees before firing home.

Sulley Muntari pulled one back for Milan just before the break as he tapped in with a close-range finish at the home of NFL side the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Following a delay due to lightening and heavy rain, former City striker Mario Balotelli took to the field for the second half and had a goal ruled out for offside before Jovetic netted his second to make it 5-1.

Share

Mourinho happy with Didier Drogba Chelsea return

Drogba has made a return to Chelsea

Drogba has made a return to Chelsea

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is excited to be working with Didier Drogba again.

The Ivorian star linked up with the squad yesterday but was not involved as Chelsea beat Slovenian outfit Olimpija Ljubljana 2-1 in a friendly with Diego Costa and Kurt Zouma scoring their first goals for the Blues – while Fernando Torres missed a sitter.

And afterwards Mourinho said: “First of all when he came, for everybody else it looks like he never left the club.

” It was so normal, nothing new because he knows everybody, everybody knows him.

” He was ever present even when he wasn’t (here).

“Chelsea belonged to him even in he last two years when he was in a Galatasaray and Shanghai shirt.

“So it looks like he went for a short holiday and come back, so everything normal.

“But yes I think we need him. We need him as a player for our squad to be the way I like.

“Because I like my squad with different qualities not just a football players but also in terms of personalities.

“I like to have players with different personalities. As a player and person he is somebody we need to be strong.”

Share

English side West Ham United eye Eto’o move

Eto'o is available for a free transfer

Eto’o is available for a free transfer

West Ham United have joined fellow Premier League side Queens Park Rangers in the race for Cameroonian star Samuel Eto’o, revealed the Mirror on Saturday.

The Hammers suffered a big blow a few days ago when it was confirmed that main striker Andy Carroll will be on the sidelines for four months after tearing his ankle ligaments.

Now seeking a replacement for the 25-year-old, West Ham boss Samm Allardyce has turned his attention to several striking options, including Eto’o, Arsenal’s Joel Campbell and Besiktas’ Portuguese striker Hugo Almeida.

A free agent after being released by Chelsea at the end of his one-year contract, the former Barcelona and Inter Milan hitman is still weighing his options with various European, American and Asian outfits reportedly interested in his services.

Share

Besiktas new arrival Demba Ba urges club to sign Chelsea’s Marko Marin

Demba Ba joined Besiktas last week

Demba Ba joined Besiktas last week

Besiktas are closing on a deal for Chelsea midfielder Marko Marin.

The Turkish giants swooped for former Chelsea striker Demba Ba last week and now want Marin.

The club’s president revealed to The Sun newspaper that talks are ongoing for the 25-year-old.

“We are in talks with Marin,” Fikert Orman said. “We could sign him or go for a name we haven’t been linked yet.”

Ba also said: “Marin called me after my transfer to Besiktas. He told me they were also interested in him and said he would like to play alongside me.

“Chelsea are probably going to loan him out again, so this is something that could happen.”

Share

Drogba one of Europe’s best striker -Mourinho insists

Mourinho has re-signed Drogba to Chelsea

Mourinho has re-signed Drogba to Chelsea

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is delighted with their deal for Didier Drogba.

Drogba has returned to Chelsea after two years away.

Mourinho, who originally lured Drogba to Chelsea, insists the decision to re-sign the club’s fourth highest scorer of all time was not clouded by sentimentality.

“Didier’s coming because he’s one of the best strikers in Europe,” Mourinho said.

“I know his personality very well and I know if he comes back he’s not protected by history or what he’s done for this club previously.

“He is coming with the mentality to make more history.”

Share

Aluko pre season form excites Hull City boss Steve Bruce

Hull City midfielder Sone Aluko

Hull City midfielder Sone Aluko

Hull City boss Steve Bruce is delighted with the preseason form of Nigerian forward Sone Aluko.

As well as enjoying a 90-minute run-out in the City’s 1-1 draw with North Ferriby on Monday, Aluko scored one and set up another for Yannick Sagbo during the Tigers’ 2-0 win at York two days later.

“Sone looked bright again at York,” said Bruce to the Hull Daily Mail. “He’s worked extremely hard all summer. He’s not had much time off. He worked in a training camp that we set up for him (in Portugal) and it was vitally important both for him and Robbie Brady.

“There’s no kid gloves anymore. Touch wood, he looks as good as I’ve seen him. I’ve known him a long time and he looks great at the moment.

“We just have to hope it stays that way because we all know what he’s capable of.”

Share

The Legend returns! Drogba re-signs for Chelsea

Chelsea legend Didier Drogba

Chelsea legend Didier Drogba

Legendary Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has completed a sensational return to the club on a one-year deal.

The Ivorian striker, 36, left Stamford Bridge in 2012, after winning the club’s first ever Champions League.

“It was an easy decision,” Drogba told the club’s official website. “I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to work with Jose again. Everyone knows the special relationship I have with this club and it has always felt like home to me.

“My desire to win is still the same and I look forward to the opportunity to help this team. I am excited for this next chapter of my career.”

Drogba scored 157 times in 341 appearances in his first stint and won three Premier League titles, four FA Cups and two League Cups. The Blues boss Jose Mourinho says he still has the same pedigree.

“He’s coming because he’s one of the best strikers in Europe,” the former Real Madrid and Inter coach said.

“I know his personality very well and I know if he comes back he’s not protected by history or what he’s done for this club previously. He is coming with the mentality to make more history.”

Share

Mourinho hints at imminent Drogba return to Chelsea

Chelsea legend Didier Drogba

Chelsea legend Didier Drogba

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has confirmed for the first time that club legend  Didier Drogba could soon return to Stamford Bridge.

Drogba scored over 150 goals for Chelsea during his eight year spell at the club, including the winning penalty in the 2012 Champions League final.

He had s short stint with Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua lasted just six months, before Drogba joined Galatasaray, however his contract has expired with the Turkish giants.

Mourinho has admitted he needs to take the emotional side out of the equation, as Chelsea consider returning to a club legend.

“We want to win matches and win titles and Didier is one of the best strikers in Europe and still very adapted to the needs of the Premier League,” said Mourinho.

“We are thinking about it in a non-emotional way. If we bring him back it is not because he is Didier or scored the most important goal in the history of Chelsea football or because, as I have read somewhere, I need an assistant. No.

“If I bring him back – and the decision has to be made soon, because I want to close the dressing-room door – it is because as a player he has certain qualities to make the team stronger.

“With Didier’s profile, being a squad player he could be important for any team. And because we know his heart is pushing him to where he feels he belongs, and because our boss has this big feeling towards him, we are thinking about the possibility.

“We feel that Didier belongs to us. Is he coming back as a player for one more year or a couple more years? Let’s see what is going to happen.

“The team is not about the XI, it is about the different options, and as an option I would not say no about the possibility of Didier.

“It is the position where it is more common that the player who starts the game doesn’t finish. It is easier to have them all motivated and all happy in a certain way.

“Exactly because of that, the striker’s position is not the one where the manager does not have two players for one position. We have three or four options.”

Share

Ghana striker wont return return to Europe as he pens new deal at Al Ain

Ghana captain Asamoah Gyan

Ghana captain Asamoah Gyan

Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan has signed a new contract extension at Al Ain in a deal which will keep him at the UAE club until 2018.

The 28-year-old signed the deal under improved terms on Thursday just days after reporting for pre-season training.

Gyan became an instant hit after signing for the Dubai-based club from Sunderland in 2011 on an initial loan deal.

The Black Stars captain was then rewarded for his impressive debut season with a permanent four-year deal.

Al Ain have however moved quickly to secure the future of their lethal striker by pinning him down until 2018 two years before his original contract expires.

Gyan has been the most influential player at Al Ain since his arrival in 2011.

The Ghana striker is also extremely grateful to the club for the firm show of commitment and confidence in his abilities.

“I am very happy to extend my contract here until 2018 and I thank the club’s board, management and all the fans for their support,” he told Asamoahgyan3.com moments after sealing the deal.

“I have been happy here since I arrived in 2011 and I hope to help the side to keep winning.”

Gyan has scored over a 100 goals for the Boss in a period which saw the side win back-to-back league titles.

He now leads the goalscoring chart in the Asian Champions League where his side have made it to the last eight and will be facing Al Ittihad.

Share

Nigeria FA president Aminu Maigari sacked by NFF Executive board

 

Maigari has been sacked

Maigari has been sackede

NFF president Aminu Maigari has been impeached from office by his executive committee.

At an executive committee meeting in Abuja on Thursday, Maigari was accused of “uncalled-for secrecy surrounding all financial dealings of the Federation and failure to call meeting of the Executive Committee for the past eight (8) months, during which so many weighty decisions on Nigeria football had been taken by a small cabal within the Board”.

Consequently, in a motion for impeachment moved by Shehu Adamu and seconded by Deji Tinubu, the Executive Committee passed a vote of no confidence on the NFF President, Alhaji Aminu Maigari.

A communique at the end of the meeting stated that “the Committee approved the immediate dismissal of Alhaji Aminu Maigari, from the NFF Executive Committee on grounds of financial misappropriation, misapplication and maladministration.”

First Vice President Mike Okeke Umeh was appointed Acting President, to preside over the affairs of the Federation, pending the composition of the new NFF Executive Committee after the elections of Tuesday, 26th August, 2014.

The decision brings to a head weeks of crisis during which the NFF had a court order restraining it from acting, leading to Nigeria being suspended by FIFA.

Meanwhile, Mike Umeh directed its Technical Sub committee to “open channels of communication with Mr. Stephen Keshi with a view to extending his contract, as the NFF is still interested in working with him.”

Keshi saw his current deal lapsed at the end of the World Cup, and with no new offer on the table, announced he was leaving his position after the Super Eagles were eliminated at the round of 16.

The committee is expected to report back within one week.

Share

LATEST HEADLINES

Kelechi Iheanacho scores again as Man City thrash AC Milan thumbnail

Kelechi Iheanacho scores again as Man City thrash AC Milan

Manchester City thrashed AC Milan 5-1 in Pittsburgh today.
Mourinho happy with Didier Drogba Chelsea return thumbnail

Mourinho happy with Didier Drogba Chelsea return

Drogba has made a return to Chelsea Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is excited
CS Sfaxien defeats rivals Esperance 1-0 in the CAF Champions league thumbnail

CS Sfaxien defeats rivals Esperance 1-0 in the CAF Champions league

A superb second-half strike from Mohamed Ali Moncer secured a 1-0 win for CS Sfaxien over Tunisian rivals Esperance in a 2014 Champions League encounter played at the Stade Taieb Mhiri stadium in Sfax on Saturday.
2014 CAF Champions league wrap: Zamalek held at home, Vita Club leave it late thumbnail

2014 CAF Champions league wrap: Zamalek held at home, Vita Club leave it late

Zamalek's hopes of CAF Champions League glory took another hit as Ahmed Ali had a penalty saved in a 0-0 draw with TP Mazembe.
2014 CAF Confederation Cup: Real Bamako down AC Leopards 2-1 thumbnail

2014 CAF Confederation Cup: Real Bamako down AC Leopards 2-1

Real Bamako of Mali boosted their hopes of reaching the CAF Confederation Cup semi-finals with a 2-1 win at Leopards de Dolisie on Sunday.
English side West Ham United eye Eto’o move thumbnail

English side West Ham United eye Eto’o move

West Ham United have joined fellow Premier League side Queens Park Rangers in the race for Cameroonian star Samuel Eto’o, revealed the Mirror on Saturday.