Afrikansoccer.com logo

Fifa forces Caf to make executive committee changes

Posted On Thursday, 21st July 2011

Fifa forces Caf to make executive committee changes

Caf President Issa Hayatou

FIFA has forced CAF to remove the suspended Slim Aloulou and Amadou Diakite from its various committees for the next two years.

Aloulou of Tunisia and Diakite of Mali were handed worldwide bans by the world governing body last year for their roles in the World Cup vote-buying scandal.

Yet, the two men, who are strong allies of CAF president Issa Hayatou, were shockingly included to serve on various committees from June 2011 to 2013.

“FIFA has received confirmation from CAF that CAF fully respects the ruling and that Slim Aloulou and Amadou Diakité are not taking part in any football related matter,” FIFA said in a statement.

“FIFA has asked CAF to ensure that, during the period of their suspension, the names of Slim Aloulou and Amadou Diakité are not published in any CAF committee list.

“Or, alternatively, are marked as ‘banned from taking part in any football-related activity’ on such lists during this period.”

CAF spokesman Suleiman Habuba said “Kindly note it’s not a new appointment.”

“All of them have been elected as executive committee members or serving on these committees before the ban. And none of them attended any CAF meetings.”

But his claim goes contrary to the list released by CAF general secretary headed ‘CAF Standing Committees 2011-2013’ sent to members just last week.

Aloulou was included in the list to be the chairman of the Africa Youth Championship and also to serve on the CAF Executive Committee, Organising Committee of CHAN, Inter Club Competitions Committee and the U17 Committee.

Diakite has also been included in the CAF Executive Committee and the Inter Club Competitions Committee.

FIFA found the two guilty of unethical conduct by FIFA’s Ethics Committee in November last year.

Based on the length of worldwide bans imposed by FIFA, Aloulou cannot return to football administration until November 2011, whilst Diakite’s ban ends in November 2012.

Source: MTNFootball.com

Share

READERS COMMENTS



LATEST HEADLINES

Iran thumps South African side Moroka Swallows 5-0 in World Cup preparatory match thumbnail

Iran thumps South African side Moroka Swallows 5-0 in World Cup preparatory match

CAF and FRMF sign  AFCON 2015 Framework Agreement thumbnail

CAF and FRMF sign AFCON 2015 Framework Agreement

Mikel Obi out of Chelsea Champions League semis Second Leg tie against Athletico Madrid thumbnail

Mikel Obi out of Chelsea Champions League semis Second Leg tie against Athletico Madrid

Mikel Obi out of Chelsea Champions League semis Second Leg tie against Athletico Madrid thumbnail

Mikel Obi out of Chelsea Champions League semis Second Leg tie against Athletico Madrid

Nigeria coach Keshi to name 35-man squad with Odemwingie in, Uche out thumbnail

Nigeria coach Keshi to name 35-man squad with Odemwingie in, Uche out

Performance of African players in Europe thumbnail

Performance of African players in Europe